RE: Shadow Image....

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:50:26 -0700

Manish,

>Has any one of you configured a workable solution using
>Hitachi shadow image and 9205 for duplicate database creation? I am
looking for
>some reference on doing it without putting the source database in hot
backup mode?

Regardless of whether you use Hitachi ShadowImage or EMC SnapCopy (or similar), you _will_ need to place the whole Database in Hot Backup mode prior to splitting the mirror. There is a definite time period between start to finish of the various behind-the-scenes operations and any DB level changes that occur during this period would otherwise result in a fuzzy backup that can be avoided only by a Hot backup. In any case, the whole point of using a ShadowImage is to reduce the time taken to backup an online database while the tablespaces are in hot backup mode (which otherwise would lead to a large amount of redo generation). Sorry buddy - needs to be done! [And we have been using this for a 300Gb Apps database for the past 4 years with no issues - one of my fellow DBAs did try a non-hotbackup recovery test and ended up with fuzzy files].

Hth,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Fear connects you to the Negative, but Faith connects you to the Positive! I Jn 4:18