Re: multiple DB's on windoze...

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:00:01 -0400

Hi,

Do you have multiple versions of Oracle (incl 10g) on the same box?

If so, running everything can be tricky.

Why? With 10g installed, the home selector technique to order the 'Path' no longer works for v9 dbca if the 'Path' includes both v9 and v10g (client or server) in any order.

<DETAILS IF CURIOUS>
I've found a problem running both 9201 (not patched for these tests) and 10g on the same box where the root cause appeared to be the 'Path' environment variable, and only in the case where the 'Path' includes both 9 and 10g stuff. (Note: PD's post to maintain separate accounts with runas can be used to segregate the 'Path' so these problems will not occur).

But, if you are stuck with a combined 9 and 10g path, here is what I've found.

The 'Path' ordering does not matter (big problem) if you are trying to run the v9 dbca, etc. In the example below, I've created a workaround to run v9 dbca when both v9 and v10g are installed and the 'Path' environment includes both.

The test, run:
G:\oracle\product\9.2.0\Db_9\bin\dbca (this is where I've installed 9201) This fails with "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: initializeCluster...", because the 'Path' (any order) includes these:

G:\oracle\product\9.2.0\Db_9\bin;  (this is where I've installed 9201)
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\bin;
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\bin;

Since the order does not matter, the old trick (v8 and v9) of re-ordering the 'Path' with the home selector would also fail. Bummer.

Solution 1: The simple solution:
When you try to run v9 dbca (or other utilities), the 'Path' may not include: G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\bin;
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\bin;
A quick fix to run v9 dbca is to /adjust/ your Path to include only: G:\oracle\product\9.2.0\Db_9\bin; (this is where I've installed 9201)

Solution 2: The *other* way. ;-)
You can run v9 dbca successfully, even if the 'Path' includes v9 and v10 if you *rename* the 10g "orasrvm.DLL" found in any 10g BIN directory. Rename it back after you are done, please.

If you have a 10g Server
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\BIN\orasrvm.DLL Then temporarily rename it to
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\BIN\_orasrvm.DLL (move out of way, and easy to find again)

If you have a 10g Client
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\BIN\orasrvm.DLL Then temporarily rename it to
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\BIN\_orasrvm.DLL (move out of way, and easy to find again)

The test, after hacking every 10g orasrvm.DLL, run: G:\oracle\product\9.2.0\Db_9\bin\dbca
Now works. Its magic. You get the idea, this sucks. ;-)

It works even though my environment 'Path' includes both v9 and v10 stuff.

G:\oracle\product\9.2.0\Db_9\bin;  (this is where I've installed 9201)
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\bin;
G:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\bin;

HTH Regards,

Mike Thomas